Wednesday 18 February 2015

Ageing

 

In our technical lesson we practiced ageing, and I found this really helpful when it comes to technical practices for Miss Havisham. Knowing that I would like to create an old look for her, I particularly found using a black sponge with a bit of supracolour on it and dabbing on the nose and T-zone to look as if there are broken blood vessels extremely useful for creating an aged texture and aesthetic for the face.


Following our technical lesson on ageing, I practiced ageing lines at home (as I did not have the special effects equipment) to see decipher the technicality needed to make a young person look old. I believe that this kind of look would be more theatrical as TV would need special effects makeup in order to look more realistic for the audience, however theatrical makeup needs to be garish and exaggerated so the audience can see it. 

 

 

This was before I added white and was experimenting with lines. For this look I used:

  • Kryolan Supracolour palette (Red, Brown, Green mixed together, and White)
  • Thin Brush
  • Disposable Mascara wand
I decided not to add foundation underneath as I wanted a realistic base, however I found that I should have used a matte primer before adding the lines as my face began to shine and became oily which made drawing on the face hard. 

Reference pictures I used to create this look:
http://loramichael.com/portfolio/IMG_2880.jpg
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/3/20/1332258653362/100-years-001.jpg
And also my own knowledge of old faces. Afterwards I added white to the eyelashes and eyebrows, however I should have been more careful with the eyebrows as the supracolour extended beyond the eyebrows and also went onto the skin.






This was a helpful practice as I gained knowledge as to what products to use and how they behaved on the skin when creating lines on the face. It will also be helpful when creating Miss Havisham if I decide to create an old look as I will know what works and what doesn't, and where to put appropriate lines. Moreover, gothic television and movies tend to include a scary or old character, and so I am more familiar with the creation of these characters now.


No comments:

Post a Comment